Thursday 2 February 2012

Corner kitchen table

I was commissioned to design and furnish a basement apartment to stage it for potential renters. The kitchen posed the biggest challenge.  Although it is a relatively large (12'x12') space, it is awkwardly shaped, and it also functions as a hallway to the master bedroom.  I knew it had potential to be an eat-in kitchen, but it won't work to have a stand-alone table and chairs.  I decided to make a custom table by cutting a triangle notch from a round solid wood table top. 

To test if my idea would work, I first cut a peice of cardboard to the proposed size and shape and tested it in the space. It's going to be perfect!



I found the perfect size tabletop for $10 at a hotel furniture liquidator.  I painted the table top with some semi-gloss white paint that I had on hand.

Pre-paint
Post-paint



Then, with the help of my handy-man partner Rich, we marked then cut the table top with a skill saw. I bought a single table leg from IKEA for $7.50.  The table leg was attached, and then the table top was bracketed to the wall for stability.  Two matching chairs were purchased on Craigslist for $10each.





No comments:

Post a Comment