Monday, 19 August 2013

Head board made from a vintage door

 Our new kingsized bed was crying out for a headboard, and as always, I like to find creative solutions while being as resourceful and thrifty as possible. I've always been inspired to create a headboard from an old vintage door.  I found a door at a local salvage yard that was the exact measurements to frame up my king sized bed.  It had a million coats of paint, all flaking off, and it was coated in junk yard grot.  But it was solid wood, the exact right size, and even the colour that I wanted. Cost $25. I took it home and sanded off the loose flaking paint, then distressed it a bit more by sanding the edges to expose some of old layers of paint. I then bought a french cleat bracket to affix the door onto the wall behind the bed.  I used a stud finder to locate the studs, and drilled the brackets to the wall at the selected height.  The coordinating cleat was then affixed to the door itself about 1" down from the top. The door was then hung onto the wall and positioned laterally to frame the bed in the exact position.  Cost of bracket $30.  Total cost of headboard: $55

Homemade bed skirt - net $0 project

Our new king sized bed was in desperate need of a bedskirt, and as always, I like to challenge myself to find creative solutions while being as resourceful and thrifty as possible.

Since we had just upgraded from a queen sized bed, I decided to use the fabric from the old threadbare queen sized sheets as the material for the bedskirt.  First I flattened the queen sized fitted sheet by removing the elastic from the corners and taking the corner seams apart.  This was the base for the new king sized bedskirt.  I needed to fill in the squares on the corners with some scrap fabric, but since this part lies underneath the mattress, the patches would not be seen. Next I measured the height of the bed frame and box spring together, this is the height of the finished skirting. I cut strips from the queen sized flat sheet, sewed them end to end to create enough length to wrap around the bed, then starched and pressed the material.  These strips were then sewn onto the base around the sides and front, but not the back.  Another pressing, and the project was complete.  Total cost: $0.

Base for bedskirt

corner patches for bedskirt base

corner patches for bedskirt base

Bedskirt - strips for skirting

New bedskirt done!