Thursday, 3 October 2013

Refurbished bedside dresser

I looked long and hard for the right size bedside dresser for our master bedroom.  It couldn't be too deep, because it would impede with the closet doors.  It couldn't be too high, or else it wouldn't function well as a bedside surface.  And it had to be the exact width to fit between the bed and the wall.  After keeping my eye on Craigslist for about six months, I finally found this little treasure, and it only cost $40.

The red colour doesn't go with my decor, and since it's solid wood (not laminate), it's easy to paint over.  I filled in a few nicks and scrapes with filler and sanded it flush.  I glued one corner that was lifting apart, and held it to dry with a tension strap.

I removed the knobs and painted them separately.  I recommend doing to give you the option of changing knob styles in the future.

In the end, I decided to splurge and buy vintage reproduction glass knobs ($40 for 8 knobs on Ebay)  to replace the original wooded knobs that came with the dresser.  I also decided to re-drill the handle holes a little bit wider than the original.  I filled the original holes and added another few coats of paint to the front of the drawers.

Blog post by Heather Fulcher
Professional Organizer for Hire
Vancouver, BC, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment