Monday 19 August 2013

Head board made from a vintage door

 Our new kingsized bed was crying out for a headboard, and as always, I like to find creative solutions while being as resourceful and thrifty as possible. I've always been inspired to create a headboard from an old vintage door.  I found a door at a local salvage yard that was the exact measurements to frame up my king sized bed.  It had a million coats of paint, all flaking off, and it was coated in junk yard grot.  But it was solid wood, the exact right size, and even the colour that I wanted. Cost $25. I took it home and sanded off the loose flaking paint, then distressed it a bit more by sanding the edges to expose some of old layers of paint. I then bought a french cleat bracket to affix the door onto the wall behind the bed.  I used a stud finder to locate the studs, and drilled the brackets to the wall at the selected height.  The coordinating cleat was then affixed to the door itself about 1" down from the top. The door was then hung onto the wall and positioned laterally to frame the bed in the exact position.  Cost of bracket $30.  Total cost of headboard: $55














No comments:

Post a Comment